Thursday, May 24, 2012

Ditching Anti-persiperant

OK, I know what you guys are thinking... I'm joking, right? No way. I think the single weirdest thing to me in all this was the concept of giving up commercial deodorant. There was no way I could fathom just not using it anymore. So, I started researching it. And literally, within about 20 min, I was convinced. There was NO WAY I could keep using the "normal" stuff.

First off, our bodies are DESIGNED to sweat. Sweat is a major method of our bodies removing toxins. If we don't let it sweat, toxins stay in, and gives our liver and kidneys more waste to handle. Anti-perspirants, in case you've never stopped to think of it, are just that... the opposite of perspiring. They have a high aluminium content, which is the main contributor to clogging up the sweat glands so they can't excrete. Aluminium doesn't belong in or on our bodies. And considering I spend so much time trying to de-clog the pores on my face, seems kind of hypocritical to intentionally clog the pores in my arm pit, right? It also contains a lot of parabens and carcinogenic materials. There is debate whether it contributes to breast cancer or not, but either way, it doesn't sound healthy to me.

Sweat only smells when it 1) comes in contact with bacteria on our skin, and 2) when we consume excess toxins. Sweat in and of itself is odorless; its simply salt water. So the solution seems simple. We don't need to prevent sweat, we just need to prevent odor. When we eat a more healthy diet, with less preservatives and all that garbage, there will be less odor to excrete to begin with. There are other foods that are perfectly healthy that will increase odor, as well. For example, onion and garlic, in large quantities. You may not want to consume a hearty Italian-inspired meal before a social event or work. Though both have cleansing qualities, but that's another blog. Second solution is attack the bacteria.

That's why I will likely be adding that Bacteria Fighter essential oil to the next batch. But for this first batch, I made it without, so I could get a more pure evaluation to share with you. I quit using my regular anti-perspirant Tuesday. After I bathed Tuesday night, I applied a simple baking soda and corn starch powder to my underarms since I didn't have a recipe yet. Wednesday morning, I applied same mixture again, and headed to the store. Yesterday was about 85 degrees, and I was outside pretty much from 10am to 5pm. We took our Jeep, which the A/C stinks and we always get hotter in it than the car, and the kids and I went to the store. I don't think I've ever had coconut oil in the house, so had to shop. After walking around Wal Mart for about an hour, we drove half an hour to a friend's house, who also didn't have the A/C on. Had lunch, then walked to the park. After walking back, we drove half an hour home without A/C. Getting home, I cooked, cleaned, and got the kids in bed. By the time my husband got home around 9pm, I had him smell me (including my arm pits!), since you can't rely on my observation of myself. He said I smelled no different than a regular day indoors. I actually smelled BETTER than I should for having been outside all day. Impressive, huh? Needless to say, I think I'm sold.

So this morning, I mixed up my homemade deodorant, took a shower, and applied a dab. Many reviews online said it smells like coconut, but I don't smell anything. It felt a little weird going on, just because its different. My right armpit only mildly stung for a few minutes, but I think I irritated it while shaving, not relevant to the deodorant. I did laundry, went to the store, and spent the rest of the day baking and cleaning my kitchen. It was at least 85 degrees again today, and with the oven running, you know my kitchen was COOKING. And I didn't turn the A/C on at all. Even so, I feel like I was actually sweating less than usual and I don't smell anything. Maybe a little cornstarch when I stick my nose in and breath hard, but that's nothing. My husband just walked in, and of course I made him smell. He said not bad at all.

All in all, I actually feel healthier. You know that feeling like after you work out? Its like that. And I haven't worked out yet at all. But between the green cleaners and the natural alternatives to what I'm putting on my body, I just feel good. I've been drinking a ton of water, too, and I think that makes a difference between sweat level and smell. I used the lemons from the vinegar/lemon peel cleaner, diced them up, and put them in a 1 gallon sized pitcher I got from Wal Mart for $3.49. Every night, I refill the jug before bed and keep it in the fridge. It is so good, and I've been almost finishing the jug every day. Talk about a cheap alternative to my bottled water! My energy level has gone up with my hydration level, and I've even been skipping my morning coffee without complaint. If you know me, that's a saying a lot!

Here's the recipe for the homemade deodorant:

5-6 tsp of coconut oil
1/4 c cornstarch
1/4 c baking soda
Tea Tree Oil (optional)

Mix the cornstarch and baking soda together. Stir in the coconut oil until a past. I got a little impatient and just kneaded it with my hands. It took about 1-2 minutes to make. Obviously, I'm a little impatient by nature. I also used corn meal instead (like Mexican masa), because that's what I had. Just a SMALL dab is all you need.

1 comment:

  1. I have been using this recipe for a while now and love it. My husband actually uses nothing and he rarely gets smelly...I think you hit the nail on the head that diet certainly contributes to body odor!

    ReplyDelete