Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Day 2- All purpose cleaner and castile soap

I made an all-purpose cleaner today. Seems like it works really well, and it smells wonderful. My kitchen smells like a kitchen should, instead of chemical cleaners.

All Purpose Cleaner (even on glass!):
Spray bottle
White vinegar
Rubbing alcohol or vodka
Warm water
Essential oils

Fill the spray bottle 1/3 each with vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and water. In a 32oz bottle, 10 drops of essential oil (I used the bateria fighter and 10 more of the grapefruit seed oil). Shake before each use. Tip: warm fluid cleans dried on grime better. Once initial bottle cools, simply remove spray nozzle and warm in microwave. This is why I prefer a smaller bottle.

I tried this spray on my laminate/pergo floor with a clean, dry soft cloth. It cleaned as well as the mixture from last night, except it didn't leave splotchy/streakiness. It was the shiniest and smoothest I've seen this old floor look ever!

I also used this on my glass kitchen table, and it cleaned really well. It made the table very shiny, and left it only slightly streaky when the sun hits it. I used straight vinegar on my patio door, which gets FILTHY from the dogs and kids. It cut through all the grime on there very quickly with just one application. Usually it takes 3-4+ spray/wipe applications, and the vinegar handled it in just one. Probably about $.04 worth of vinegar did the job!

I got a great idea from my friend, Danielle. She told me how she uses the softsoap refills and fills her pump-style handsoap bottles 1/3 with soap and 2/3 with water. Well, since I want to go more natural, I adapted her method. Yesterday at the health food store, I got a bunch of castile soap (all-natural ingredients making an olive oil-based soap vs chemical-infused detergent, beef fat versions we are used to) samples and I used one spearmint-peppermint sample and filled the rest with water. Its wonderful, and leaves our hands super soft. I used the rose-scented soap on my girls in their bath tonight. Its amazing how far this stuff goes, and they smell so pretty! Their hair and skin are so soft, and I didn't even use conditioner. Both my girls have dry skin, so the fact lotion wasn't necessary is pretty impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment